Thursday, July 16, 2009

Random Acts of Kindness

I do them. Little things with no expectations of thanks or acknowledgment. Sometimes consciously, mostly spontaneously. Often a situation makes me feel a tug on my empathy strings (action of my mirror neurons). And I act, almost compulsively. I am not looking for a pat on the back for being a 'good Samaritan' because there exist more compassionate people who do far more than I, more actively, more frequently. And I have no halo to burnish.

I don't want to be labelled a do-gooder, or charitable person; mostly because it would be undeserved. I am sure I could do more. And there is a personal reward involved; that modest payback of knowing I done good.

It's also a matter of pride. Or how not to encroach on the receivers dignity by not being 'patronizing' about it and avoiding basking in ones self righteous afterglow of the good deed in question. Sometimes dropping a few rands/groceries/clothes into a box offers welcome anonymity. But othertimes it's paying for bread and milk for someone obviously less fortunate than you at the tillpoint. (No one has ever offered this to me at Woollies though :-| ) . Or letting an old person steal your parking spot and not honking your horn in a fit of rage. Sometimes they are bigger and closer to home, like careboxes to my sister at Wits University when she was a starving student and I was earning a lowly interns minimum wage.

Do it.
Move on.

And receive random acts of kindness that fall your way with dignity.
***

I used to tutor/mentor "township kids" when I was in high school (also a few of my less academic friends, for that matter :P). English, history and biology were my fortes (I have awards to prove it ;-).

I have always believed that literacy and education is critical to uplifting society. I also know that it's not so easy when you're living under the bread line; books and reading are hardly a primary concern. Yet, it's an initiative I support. I have contributed to the local schools drive to collect money for their library (more enthusiastically than I did the raffle for their rugby tour :P).

And SA's new Minister of Education has just reduced funding for literacy projects! :-\
That said, here are 2 associated fantastic projects that deserve support:





Books for Africa
"Books For Africa. A simple name for an organization with a simple mission. We collect, sort, ship, and distribute books to children in Africa. Our goal: to end the book famine in Africa."









Better world Books
"Better World Books collects and sells books online to fund literacy initiatives worldwide. With more than two million new and used titles in stock, we’re a self-sustaining, triple-bottom-line company that creates social, economic and environmental value for all our stakeholders."



They raise funds for global literacy and save books from landfills! And all you have to do is buy your books from them instead of Amazon! (or Loot, or Take 2 for 'Saffers' - I still despise that word)

No comments:

Post a Comment