Monday, July 13, 2009

Accio! (Harry Potter VI tickets!)

I've read and enjoyed the books. Unlike the poorly written tripe that is S. Meyers Twilight; JK Rowling pays attention to grammar and diction and created a whimsical children's fantasy world that I could buy into. Please note that I do not think she is the greatest of the contemporary children's authors, but she's decent enough. Phillip Pullman's Northern Light's; Louis Sachar's Holes; William Nicholson's Windsinger; Dianna Wynne Jones Howl's Moving Castle, Paul Stewart's Edge Chronicles, Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl and Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Events were all superb publications in the same period but lacked the marketing engine of the Harry Potter empire.

Since then, there has been a plethora of horribly derivative, poorly written tween fantasy on the market (many with deceptive, gorgeously well-designed covers to entice the incautious buyer). This spilled over into the movie industry, which rapidly bought into the meme and churned out a myriad of insipid fantasy flicks to follow in the wake of a few that hit the spot.

I count Harry Potter as one of the few successful not-overly-inane book to movie adaptations.
I have followed the adventures at Hogwarts and have impatiently awaited for the next installment. I have booked tickets for Friday (the opening was booked out by those far more enthusiastic than I).

In secret, to while away the gray days, I rewatched my HP years 1 to 5.

And, started playing Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (EA) on my DS.
Ok, so I ruined my Coraline experience a bit by playing the game before the movie release.

But the HP 6 game is quite different from the film, and is a better game than the last one. But still not great. Anyway. I still want the wii version and politely request that some game developer gets it right one day so I can caste spells with deft wrist maneuvers of my wand/wiimote.

Accio! does work for me but is a bit unreliable, especially when my s.o. is not within hearing distance of my spellcasting ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Nice site. Please visit my site, too.

    www.monimaus-monalila.de.tl

    Greetings from Austria

    Moni

    ReplyDelete