Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince

Ok, so I have already confessed to enjoying Harry Potter.
[the DS game is going well but I stink at quidditch (minigame) :P]

And with much anticipation and excitement (I even quashed my annoyance that I should actually have seen it last year*scowls in the general direction of greedy, manipulative studios*) we watched it on Friday on a very very big screen from good seats with no talking heads in the way.

No, I don't plan on giving away any spoilers. Alfonso Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban remains my favourite film but David Yates certainly did not disappoint. I laud the casting director of the film franchise, there is not a single casting that did not fit . The kids are finally growed up. Rupert Grint and Daniel Radcliffe are matured, albeit romanticaly challnged, comedians. Yates realism adds a nice touch to Hogwarts. Tom Felton played a suave, sinister and sensitive Malfoy and well, I'm a fan of the entire adult caste of thespian Brits.

However, the casting of Tom Riddle was truly inspired. Hero Fiennes-Tiffin and Frank Dillane could easily grow up to be Christian Coulson [but not Ralph Fiennes :P]. Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood still makes me happy.

And the art director (dude who did Amelie styling) impressed me from the beginning. The Harry Potter universe has from the beginning been a baroque visual feast, his Rembrandt painting effect was delicious.

My only complaint is that with such a fabulous caste, it felt like most of the charming old characters did not get enough airtime, if they cameo'd at all!

I will follow my sisters tradition of watching them twice at the cinema. Just in case I missed a nuance or two ;-)

bah humbug. I'm not a fangirl, mk? humpfff. :-D

1 comment:

  1. Although I enjoyed the visual aspects as well as the brilliant acting, I am annoyed that it is being drawn out :/

    ReplyDelete